THE PARISH CHURCH OF WATERLOOVILLE
The original church of St George in the centre of Waterlooville, was built in 1831 to serve the small community that had established itself around the
crossroads of London, Hambledon and Stakes Hill in Waterlooville. Built from funds raised by subscription from various local landowners such as Thomas Thistlethwaite and John Hulbert, the church
built in the Gothic style was consecrated on26th January, 1831 by the Vicar General, the Revd, William Dealty.
After serving a growing population for more that 130 years, it was decided that the small church needed wither replacing or enlarging. Several plans were considered before a
decision was reached to build a new church, but retaining almost half of the original building including the chancel and altar. The old tower was completely re-faced and a spacious nave added. The
new edifice was re-hallowed by the Bishop of Portsmouth, the Rt Revd. John Phillips in April, 1970
We have transcribed all the parish registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials up until the turn of the century
SEARCHING PARISH REGISTERS ONLINE
There are many websites offering online records, but the one that stands out above the rest is TheGenealogist. This is a vast online research site,
holding complete BMD and census records, along with Parish Registers, military records, directories, non-conformist records, and much more.
Parish records are available in two formats - transcripts/database records and searchable printed books. The database records consist of easily searched transcripts of the
original records which allow you to search on various fields and may also have linked images of the original registers. The searchable books consist of indexed books that were transcribed and
published many years ago, many over 110 years old. These transcript books have then been OCR'd (Optical Character Recognition) to turn the pages into searchable text.
ANCESTRY HAS BEEN BUSY
Ancestry has updated its collection of WW! Pension Ledgers and Index Cards for 1914-1923. The collection already holds the records of pensions
applications from military personnel who were injured during the war, and the next of kin of those killed. These new additions are records for injured Army, Navy and Royal Air Force officers; women
who served, such as nurses; and officers’ widows. The records are indexed on Ancestry, while images of the originals are available on fold3.com.
PORTSMOUTH RECORD OFFICE
New records just added include Description Substantial oral history collections (over 1100 recordings) relating to Portsmouth history and to D-Day,
subjects including Portsmouth dockyard, the Home Front in WW2, Leisure, the Chinese, Bangladeshi and Caribbean communities, corset making, ferry workers, local rock musicians, D-Day and the Battle
Lee-on-Solent, often referred to as Lee-on-Solent, is a small seaside Ward of the Borough of Gosport in Hampshire, England, about five miles (8 km)
west of Portsmouth. The area is located on the coast of the Solent. It is primarily a residential area, with an upsurge of mostly local visitors in summer, but is well known as the former home to the
Royal Naval Air Station HMS Daedalus.
The district gained its name in the 19th century, during attempts to develop the area into a seaside resort. The area had been referenced long before this, referred to as Lee and
numerous variations, including Lebritan. Early impetus for the district's development came from Charles Edmund Newton Robinson who persuaded his father, John Charles Robinson, art curator and
collector, to fund the buying of land. Over the period 1884 to 1894 the district was established with the setting out of Marine Parade, a pier, railway connection along with a number of impressive
red brick villas. The railway service was discontinued in the 1930s and the pier, unrepaired after breaching in aid of Coastal defence in World War II and was demolished in 1958.
Lee-on-the Solent has had a long association with aviation. Seaplane trials took place at Lee-on-the-Solent as early as 1915. A base for seaplane training was established in 1917
on the former RNAS Lee-on-Solent, formerly HMS Daedalus,
In 1935 the Lee Tower complex was built on the seafront next to the old pier and railway station. It was designed by architects Yates, Cook & Derbyshire, and comprised a white
v-shaped Art Deco building with a 120-foot (37 m) tower. The complex housed a cinema, ballroom and restaurant, as well as a viewing platform at the tower's peak. The complex was demolished in 1971 by
Gosport Borough Council, with its land now used for the promenade, remembrance gardens and a car park