Staunton Park Genealogy Centre

      NEWS and MORE NEWS

 

Portsea Island's Last Working Farm

The last part of Portsea Island to survive the expansion of Portsmouth was near the northern tip in Hilsea. The Islands last working farm was called Green Farm, then once the land was bought up for development, the farmhouse was converted into a Toby Carvery. This opened in 1992 and underwent further refurbishment later in the decade. The pub originally occupied the attractive timber-framed farmhouse that may well be over 500 years old, and a 200-year-old timber barn was also part of the pub complex. Then five or six years ago the farmhouse became part of a Travelodge, and today the Toby Carvery occupies the converted barn.

 

Get ready! 1921 Census of England and Wales will be available exclusively online at Findmypast from 6 January 2022. But it won’t magically appear overnight. Behind the scenes, our team of specialists have been conserving, scanning, transcribing and publishing every record, ready for you to uncover some amazing family secrets.

 

Don't mention it

The old Great Western Railway, which the labour government nationalised in 1948, published and excellen monthly magazine for its staff. It ran a regular column in two sections, "People We Have Pleased" and "People We Intend To Please" featuring letters of praise and complaint from both passengers and commercial customers who used the goods services. "Well I never".

 

The last one? Mentioning the coming census, this release may be the last of its kind in our lifetime as the 1931  census was destroyed in a fire and there was not one taken in 1941 as it was in wartime.

 

Battle to save Victorian signal box from bulldozers

Residents of Chartham, near Canterbury in Kent, have called on Network Rail to relocate the green wooden hut or give them the chance to turn it into a community facility rather than see it torn down. The structure which dates back to 1888, overlooks one of only three remaining barrier crossings in the county which are still pushed closed by an operator. All three are being automated for safety reasons.

An application has been made to have the structure listed with Historic England in a bid to protect it from the bulldozers.

The chairman of the parish council, said:"We see it as an iconic landmark in the village and would hope that the building can ideally be retained in its current location, or moved elsewhere if that is possible". A spokesman for Newtork Rail said the money spent on preservig the box, due to be removed next year, would be better used on improving services.

 

UK City of Culture 2025

Southampton's bid to be Southampton UK City of Culture 2025 is a step nearer, with the announcement that it has made it in the longlist of competing cities. The city is one of the last eight competing for the title that it is hoped would bring millions of pounds worth of investment.

 

Fareham History

A famous name in Fareham's history is Henry Cort, who invented two processes that improved the efficiency of iron manufacture whilst he was worling at Fontley Iron Mill in the 1780s. His puddling and grooved rolls processes helped establish the global supremacy of the British iron industry in the early 19th century, and earned him the sobriquet of 'The Father of the Iron Trade'. He is commemorated in Fareham in the names of Henry Cort Community College and Cort Way and with the Henry Cort SculpturePark in the town centre, which consis of a number of distinctive modern sculptures using wrought iron. The rock and chain sculpture symbolises the processes associated with Henry Court. Iron ore is extracted from the rock and smelted in a blast furnace to form pig iron,which is then refined to form malleable or wrought iron in a puddling furnace. The iron is then rolled into bars and forged into chains. The sculpture shows iron appearing from the rock in a tangled mess before being made into chains that rise to the sky. The inscription in the rock reads:Nothing is created, everything is transformed.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Print Print | Sitemap
© Staunton Park Genealogy Centre